Approved language tests for Canadian immigration

BC PNP Tech Approved language tests for Canadian immigration

What Language proficiency tests are approved in the Canadian immigration process?


When it comes to immigrating to Canada, we must demonstrate fluency in either English or French, the country’s official languages. If you want to become a permanent resident, you’ll need to be able to communicate in English and/or French. The Canadian Language Benchmark also verifies your language proficiency (CLB).The CLB is a Canadian set of metrics that tries to evaluate and certify language competency in immigration-accepted proficiency tests:

  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS) – for English
  • Canadian English Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP) – for English
  • Test d’évaluation de français pour le Canada (TEF Canada) – for French
  • Teste de connaissance du Français pour le Canada(TCF Canada) – for French

The grade that is required for immigration varies depending on the programme. All of the processes require one of the language proficiency exams, however the grade requirement varies. Check out the requirements for Express Entry, which are broken down into categories:

  • Federal Skilled Worker Program: a minimum CLB of 7 is required in all skills, including writing, reading, listening, and speaking.
  • Federal Skilled Trades Program: a minimum CLB of 4 is required for reading and writing, while a minimum CLB of 5 is required for listening and speaking.
  • Canadian Experience Class: For occupations in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) 0 or A, a minimum CLB of 7 in the skills of writing, reading, listening, and speaking is required, and for jobs in the NOC B, a minimum CLB of 5.
Free Immigration Evaluation