The Parent and Grandparent Program where permanent residents or immigrant citizens can invite their parents and grandparents for immigration to Canada, reopens for cap of 20,000 applications to the interested sponsors on January 28, 2019, at 12 noon EST, using a new system.
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will resume the first-come, first-served approach to processing expressions of interest, but a new system for 2019 will favour potential sponsors who submit their ‘Interest to Sponsor’ form as early as possible. Canada’s generous Family Class immigration category allows Canadian citizens and permanent residents to sponsor their parent(s) or grandparent(s) through the Parent and Grandparent Program.
Parent and Grandparent Program eligibility:
- be either a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada,
- meet certain income requirements, and
- Support the sponsored person(s) and their dependents financially.
The sponsor and the sponsored person(s) must sign a sponsorship agreement that:
- Commits the sponsor to provide financial support the sponsored person(s) and any other eligible relatives accompanying them for a period of three to 20 years, depending on their age and relationship to the sponsor, beginning on the date they become a permanent resident, and
- States that the persons becoming permanent residents will make every effort to support themselves.
Please note that, Residents of Quebec must sign an ‘undertaking’ with the province of Quebec. Sponsors in Quebec must also meet Quebec’s sponsorship requirements after being approved as a sponsor by IRCC.
Minimum income requirements
The Minimum Necessary Income (MNI) requirement must be met for each of the three years preceding the date of the application to sponsor a parent or grandparent.
The size of the family unit includes the parent(s) or grandparent(s) being sponsored.
|Size of Family Unit||Minimum Income 2017||Minimum Income 2016||Minimum Income 2015|
|If more than 7 persons, for each additional person, add the amount mentioned.||$8,616||$8,522||$8,358|