Canadian immigration applicants only need to submit highest degree for ECA


The individuals who apply for Canadian Immigration need to submit the documents verifying their foreign (non-Canadian) degrees, diplomas, and certificates have a valid Canadian equivalent. This document is called an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA). One of the providers who are certified by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to handle ECAs, WES, recently announced that immigration applicants only need to submit their highest completed credential.

WES wants the clients not to submit any additional credentials for assessment, as it will slow down the process. Also, ECAs are not needed for Canadian credentials. As of November 2020, those who have a PhD do not need to submit a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree to be assessed. The same goes for those who have a master’s degree, or a bachelor’s degree.

In addition to that, the translations are not required for documents submitted in French. Most documents submitted in other languages will have to be translated, and there may be some exceptions depending on which documents WES requires. Certain applicants from India will also have to submit additional credentials.

ECA for Express Entry

People who apply for Canadian immigration through the Express Entry system may need an ECA for their degrees.

Those who completed education outside Canada need an assessment for two important reasons: to be eligible as the principal applicant for the Federal Skilled Workers Program or to earn Comprehensive Ranking System points for foreign education.

Those who are applying with a spouse or common-law partner can earn points if their partner also gets an ECA for their foreign credentials.

Please note that the points will be given if the report states that the foreign credential is equal to a completed Canadian high school or post-secondary credential.

ECAs submitted for immigration purposes must not be more than five years old when applicants submit their Express Entry profile, or apply for permanent residence.

If you are interested and wish to get more information, you may contact us at or call us at 1800-419-3242.

Free Immigration Evaluation