Update on Australian border for Non-citizens & permanent residents

Australian Traveling to Canada
  • November 15, 2020

To protect the country from COVID-19 Australian government is following a strict border measures. Currently very less flights are available for Australia and people may not be able to travel at this time as per the National Cabinet media statement.

It is mentioned in a Coronavirus (COVID-19) advice for travellers   form & All travellers are strictly informed (including Australian Citizens) to go under isolation for 14 days at a designated facility, such as a hotel, in their port of arrival. Cost of the isolation centre will be charged to traveller. To know more about the isolation requirements you can contact the relevant state or territory government health department.  



International travellers who were in Australia before lockdown announcement are now advised to return home as soon as possible due to the current COVID-19 situation in Australia, including state and territory border restrictions, business closures and social distancing requirements.

Temporary visa holders who wish to return to Australia during the restrictions, they will generally need a travel exemption.

Automatic exemptions

You are exempt from travel restrictions, and can leave Australia without applying for an exemption if you are:

  • ordinarily resident in a country other than Australia
  • an airline, maritime crew or associated safety worker
  • a New Zealand citizen holding a Special Category (subclass 444) visa, even if they are usually resident in Australia
  • engaged in the day-to-day conduct of inbound and outbound freight
  • travelling in association with essential work at an offshore facility in Australian waters
  • travelling on official government business (including members of the Australian Defence Force and any Australian Government official travelling on a diplomatic or official passport)

Australians and permanent residents

Citizens & permanent residents of Australia are not allowed to leave Australia or cross the border because of COVID-19 pandemic. Yet if they have any serious issues or any exemption, they can travel with permission. Such travellers need to apply online  but you must meet at least one of the following:

  • your travel is as part of the response to the COVID-19 outbreak, including the provision of aid
  • your travel is for your business/employer
  • you are travelling to receive urgent medical treatment that is not available in Australia
  • you are travelling outside Australia for three months or longer
  • you are travelling on compassionate or humanitarian grounds
  • Your travel is in the national interest.

They must have evidence that support the claims. Requests may be finalised without further consideration if insufficient evidence is provided. Evidence may include:

  • passport/s
  • marriage certificate/s
  • birth certificate/s
  • death certificate/s
  • proof of relationship (for example, shared tenancy agreement, joint bank account etc.)*
  • proof that you are moving to another country on a long term basis such as leases, job offers and evidence your goods are being transported
  • proof of your current valid visa, including in Australia and/or overseas
  • letter from a doctor or hospital about any medical treatment/condition with statements on why travel is necessary
  • letter from your employer, or other evidence that you are travelling for a business reason
  • statement or evidence to show when you wish to return to Australia
  • Any other proof you may have to support your claims.

*For information about providing proof of your relationship refer to Evidence of relationship.  

Note: All evidence supporting a travel exemption claim needs to be officially translated into English.

Free Immigration Evaluation