What is Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) and who should do it

Educational credential assessment

What is Educational Credential Assessment?

An Educational credential assessment (ECA) is used to verify that your foreign degree, diploma, or certificate (or other proof of your credential) is valid and equal to a Canadian one. There are different types of ECAs. You need to get an ECA for immigration purposes. If you got another type of ECA, you may be able to get it re-issued, depending on the type of ECA and/or issuing organization.

You must include your ECA report and the reference number in your Express Entry profile.

Your ECA report may help when you’re looking for a job. But, it doesn’t guarantee that you will get a job in your field at a certain level or get a license to practice in a regulated profession (job). If you plan to work in a regulated job, you must get your license in the province or territory that you plan to settle in.


Who needs Educational Credential Assessment?

If you completed your education outside Canada, you need an assessment to:

  • Be eligible as the principal applicant for Federal Skilled Workers Program (Express Entry), or
  • Earn points for education you got outside Canada

You can also earn points for your spouse or common-law partner’s education, if they are coming with you to Canada. You don’t need an assessment for a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate. To earn points, your report must show that your completed foreign credential (degree, diploma or certificate) is equal to a completed Canadian secondary school (high school) or post-secondary credential.


Which credentials to get assessed?

In most cases, you only need an assessment for your highest level of education. You can get assessment for 2 or more credentials when you wish to get points for having 2 or more credentials.

To get full points for more than 1 credential, at least 1 of the credentials must be for 3 or more years of study. The order that you complete your credentials does not affect points.


When to get your secondary education assessed?

If your post-secondary credential is not equal to a Canadian credential, you could get your secondary credential assessed. This would get you points for completing secondary school.

For more information about Canadian PR and to apply for the same, contact us at inquiry@winnyimmigration.com or call us at 1800-419-3242.

In next blog, we will discuss how to get ECA and which bodies can help you with the assessment in detail. Keep checking our latest updates.

Free Immigration Evaluation