Canadian Immigration Lawyer Vs. Consultant – What’s the Difference?

Canada Immigration -Immigration to Canada's Provinces immigration lawyer v/s consultant?

A Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) is a professional who has completed a formal curriculum in Canadian Immigration Law and then passed a professional licence exam demonstrating that they have a particular level of skill in Canadian immigration problems. The Immigration Consultant Regulatory Council (IRCC) regulates RCICs in Canada, and they must adhere to strict rules of practise in order to protect immigration service consumers. An RCIC’s educational requirements are solely focused on immigration law. They have exclusively studied immigration law in Canada.

A Canadian immigration lawyer is a lawyer who has earned a law degree from a reputable university and has been admitted to the bar of a particular province in Canada. Because most law schools in Canada do not offer specialised study in Canadian immigration law, a lawyer interested in practising immigration law would need to acquire an articling position with an experienced immigration lawyer or obtain on-the-job training in the field. A lawyer’s education covers the majority of subjects of law in Canada. They have a broad understanding of the law, with no formal training in immigration law.


When Should You Hire a Canadian Immigration consultant ?

If you need to travel to Canada or if you are already in Canada but wish to extend your stay, you must apply for a certain form of status. A consultant will be most helpful in the processing of most forms of applications, including citizenship, permanent residence, work or study permits, and all types of visas. Each year, consultants prepare and represent the great majority of Canadian immigration applications, indicating that they have the most experience with these procedures. You’ll probably find that their fees are less than those of a lawyer. When you hire a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant to help you with your immigration application, you get the best of both worlds: you get the most qualified expert for your case, and the cost is likely to be less than hiring a lawyer.


When Should You Hire a Canadian Immigration Lawyer ?

In most situations, you will need to submit a Judicial Review of the decision in Federal Court to reverse a Canadian immigration rejection that you believe was issued in error or was otherwise unreasonable. Only a lawyer can file this application on your behalf. However, it’s worth noting that pursuing judicial review following a refusal may not always be the best option. Whether you prepared the application without legal assistance and it was denied, it’s a good idea to meet with a consultant to figure out whether you should file again and produce a stronger application, or if you should visit a lawyer to apply for judicial review. It is extremely rare for a person working on their own file to produce an application to the high standards required for a favourable outcome in federal court. To reiterate our earlier advise, make sure to inquire about any consultant you’re considering hiring about their expertise preparing files in advance of a judicial review. In order to have a chance of succeeding in federal court, your applications must be exceedingly detailed.



Free Immigration Evaluation