How to get Educational Credential Assessment?

Educational Credential Assessment

An Educational credential assessment (ECA) is used to verify that your foreign degree, diploma, or certificate (or other proof of your credential) is valid and equal to a Canadian one. There are different types of ECAs. You need to get an ECA for immigration purposes. If you got another type of ECA, you may be able to get it re-issued, depending on the type of ECA and/or issuing organization.


How to get ECA and who can do your assessment?

You have to get the assessment done from an organization or a professional body that is designated by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. The report given by them will state what your education is equal to in Canada.

The time to process the report and cost for getting the credential assessment may vary as per the organization or professional body. The organization or professional body will guide you on how to submit your documents for your assessment.


Designated organizations

There are various designated organizations which you can choose:

Choosing a designated organization based on your occupation

In order to work for a large employer or in a regulated occupation, you may require assessment done from a specific designated organization. You can check with your employer or regulated body for your occupation for further information.


Designated professional bodies

If your Primary Occupation* is Specialist Physician (NOC 3111) or General Practitioner/Family Physician (NOC 3112), the Medical Council of Canada (professional body for doctors) must do an ECA for your primary medical diploma.

*Primary Occupation means the job you have experience in (within the last ten years) and want to base your immigration application on, if you are invited to apply.

If you have a different primary occupation, another designated organization can do your assessment.

If you’re in a position where you don’t need a license, one of the other designated organizations can assess your credentials. Contact the regulatory body in the province where you plan to live to find out if you need a license to practice your intended occupation.

For more information about Canadian PR and to apply for the same, contact us at or call us at 1800-419-3242.

Free Immigration Evaluation